Changing the build tools

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Sat Mar 11 01:53:59 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 10:32 +1100, Steven Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think you mis-understand, my problem Isn't with building the tools,
> its with building RTEMS, i will elaborate.
>
> I have already properly re-built the toolchains.  I use
> --prefix=/opt/rtems-4.6-2 when running ./configure on GCC for example.
> All of the tools, Newlib, GCC, GDB and Binutils are installed correctly
> in /opt/rtems-4.6-2 and they have been tested and operate correctly from
> there.  There was no problem for me doing this, ive built GCC and
> friends more times than i care to remember.
>
> My problem relates to the building of RTEMS itself. The ./configure and
> make process of RTEMS V4.6.5 looks for its build tools (for whatever
> processor it is being built for) in /opt/rtems-4.6/bin by default,
No, it doesn't.

The configure script looks for $target-<tool> on $PATH.

> rather than by using the tools it can find on the $PATH, which
> ./configure and make normally do.
I have no idea what makes you think this. The contrary is true.

>   However, I now have new tools in
> /opt/rtems-4.6-2
You didn't answer to my question: How did you install them to this
point?

In general, you must rebuild the tool-chains (binutils, gcc, gdb) with
--prefix=/opt/rtems-4.6-2 to make this working, because some of the
tools internally have their prefix hard-coded into.

I.e. you can't copy the toolchains to a different installation prefix.

>  that i would prefer the RTEMS build to look for and
> use, rather than the ones at /opt/rtems-4.6 (which I would still like to
> keep there so i can switch back and forth between different projects).

> I know RTEMS can be built successfully with my new tools, because i
> moved /opt/rtems-4.6 away, and made a symbolic link of rtems-4.6 to the
> rtems-4.6-2 directory containing my version of the build tools.  This
> enabled me to progress and build RTEMS with my new tools, however this
> approach is suboptimal, and what i really want to do is something like:
>
> ./configure --find-the-build-tools-here=/opt/rtems-4.6-2
> or
> export FIND_THE_BUILD_TOOLS_HERE=/opt/rtems-4.6-2
> make

export PATH=/opt/rtems-4.6-2/bin:$PATH
<srcdir>/configure --target=$target

> So what I'm after is a way to over-ride the path the RTEMS ./configure
> and make scripts use to actually find the build tools.
It uses $PATH and nothing but $PATH.

Ralf