Rtems 4.7 Mingw Tools and automake / LIBTOOL

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Nov 10 04:42:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 11:50 +0800, Paul Whitfield wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have got myself stuck!
>
> I am now using the rtems 4.7 tools for windows from the wiki.
> (The m68k-3 release).
Do these override/upgrade the system autotools?

> However, somehow it has broken my autoconf / automake scripts that
> use the macro
Well, not quite. You either have broken your autotools installation or
are using the autotools incorrectly.

> AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
>
> I get an error saying that this  that libtools is
> undefined and I should use the macro AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.
>
> The scripts that do not use this macro work as before.
This would indicate something is installed incorrectly.

> configure.in:180: the top level
> Processing src/ip4/configure.in
> aclocal -I ../../config
> Makefile.am:19: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
> Makefile.am:19:
> Makefile.am:19: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
> `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
> Makefile.am:19: to `configure.in' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
Hmm, this doesn't match with what you write above.

Here, one of the autotools (probably autom4te) complains about you not
using "AC_PROG_LIBTOOL" inside of your configure.in.

* This could be a simple bug in your configure.in, having not being
diagnosed in older versions. Adding it to configure.in and rerunning
aclocal should remedy this.

* If AC_PROG_LIBTOOL already is in configure.in, then this error could
indicate the autotools not being able to find libtool's
m4/aclocal-support files. This would indicate an installation bug. What
do in this case, depends on details about your installation.

If you have the rtems autotools installed in parallel to the system
autotools (This is what the linux packages do), then adding a
<rtems-autotools>/share/aclocal/dirlist file containing the path to the
system's aclocal-directory should help:

On linux this would be:
# cat /opt/rtems-4.7/share/aclocal/dirlist
/usr/share/aclocal

But beware: You'll probably see the autotools complain about *.m4 macros
other packages might have put there (BTW: This is the cause of the
winsz.m4 warnings Danilu reported yesterday). These all are bugs of
these packages and should be fixed by the OS's maintainers.

A less intrusive approach would be not to use the system's libtool, but
to install another copy to the same prefix as the RTEMS-autotools.
This is what I recommend.

If you should have replaced the system autotools with the RTEMS
autotools, you are having a problem. You'll be facing all kind of bugs
and defects other packages suffer from in their autotool support files.

NTB: libtool-1.x is not very well suited to cross building, libtool-2.x
is reported to be better, but ... there had not been a lease, ever.
I do not recommend to use libtool for cross-compilation, except if you
really know what you are doing.

Ralf