Fwd: Problem report: Struct aliasing problem causes Thread_Ready_Chain corruption in 4.6.99.3

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Tue Nov 21 15:21:30 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 08:52 -0600, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>> Using a union like this would probably remove a lot of casts and could
>> make the code easier to read.
>>
> It's "'em casts" which are the origin of this evil!

:)  I have attached a patch which (if my grep worked) which should make
a big
dent in this.

+ In malloc.c, we keep a chain of pending memory to free and I added
an intermediate variable between the free'ed address being queued.

+ I don't know how to deal with the macros/routines _Chain_Head and
_Chain_Tail
in chain.inl.

+ Chain_Initialize in chain.c has a cast of an address when building the
chain initially
and I don't know how to deal with that.

Suggestions on the cases above to improve the attached patch and see if
it is enough
to address Peer's problem.