Problem report: Struct aliasing problem causes Thread_Ready_Chain corruption in 4.6.99.3

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Wed Nov 29 17:08:05 UTC 2006

Joel,

Joel Sherrill schrieb:

... lot of conversation snipped away....

>> - In parallel, 4.7 will be cut with -fno-strict-aliasing
>>
>> - the 4.8 development branch will temporarily use -fno-strict-aliasing
>> aswell, until the code has been revised
>>
> I don't know how Ralf is going to add this compiler flag.  It might go
> in as global
> or not.  If it gets added individually in Makefile.am's then it will be
> possible to
> slowly take it out.  If it is in a single place, it is either in or out.

Hm, I don't think it is a good idea. Assume we have cleaned the
networking code, but the RTEMS chain code is not yet aliasing-clean.
When a networking function would include the chaining, it would break if
we reenable -fstrict-asliasing for networking.

wkr,
Thomas.

embedded brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler           Obere Lagerstr. 30
D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
Tel. : +49-89-18 90 80 79-2
Fax  : +49-89-18 90 80 79-9
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de