GoAhead WebServer in RTEMS

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Nov 1 12:28:10 UTC 2006

Ian Caddy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> Chris Johns wrote:

>>> Do you mean http://www.appwebserver.org/ ?
>>>

>> The license for that is pure GPL so isn't good for RTEMS.  If the
>> GoAhead webserver is
>> indeed obsolete, then we need to identify another candidate and port it.
>>

> I was just looking at the AppWeb site and the way I read the license
> section:
>
> "If your software is 100% GPL *or is licensed under an Open Source
> License that is OSI  approved* and acceptable to Mbedthis Software,
> you may use Mbedthis products and embed them in your applications or
> devices. You do not need any other agreement or license -- the GPL is
> all you need."
>
> The Open Source License includes the LGPL which I thought was
> acceptable to us?
>
> It might be worth contacting the site to see if RTEMS would be an
> acceptable platform for Mbedthis.  Maybe an RTEMS official? ;-)

I didn't contact them but my reading is that it would be OK to use it
with RTEMS and any example application since they
are all open source/GPL.  But your application probably isn't GPL and it
would be statically linked with RTEMS and their
web server -- thus requiring a commercial license.

Option 1: Completely GPL statically linked image
Option 2: Proprietary application, commercial license

This is just another example of the license hassles we want to avoid
with RTEMS.