Fwd: Problem report: Struct aliasing problem causes Thread_Ready_Chain corruption in 4.6.99.3

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Tue Nov 21 16:01:46 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 16:38 +0100, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>

>> Therefore your patch in malloc.c is IMHO identical to the previous
>> explicit cast.
>>
> Please prove Joel's patch to be broken.

I did that because that type of code fixed previous punning problems.  It
seems to tell gcc that we knew what we were doing.  If you look at a lot
of the changes between 4.6 and 4.7 you will see more than a few changes
following this pattern.

I am more concerned about the _Chain_Head and _Chain_Tail routines.
I don't see how to clean them up without the union.  And I believe (but
can't prove) that they are the root of gcc's confusion.

--joel