Problem report: Struct aliasing problem causes Thread_Ready_Chain corruption in 4.6.99.3

Thomas Doerfler (nt) Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Tue Nov 21 19:33:51 UTC 2006

Pavel,

you are right, on some targets, my structure definition might get other
alignments than intended.

In that case I would like to discuss change the size of the
"Chain_Control" structure. AFAIK, it has previously been defined to hold
three pointers to save some memory (the "permanent_null" pointer ist
shared between the nodes), but maybe it is not SO important. In that
case, Chain_Control might also be defined as follows:

typedef union {
  struct Chain_Node_struct head;
  struct Chain_Node_struct tail;
} Chain_Control;

What would get broken if we change to a 16 byte Chain_Control?

Any comments to this?

wkr,
Thomas.