PPP over serial on motorola_shared bsp

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 18 14:04:04 UTC 2006

We've been trying to bring PPP up over a 2nd serial port on a MTX603,
which uses the motorola_shared bsp without much success.

The problem appears to be some kind of fault inside the ioctl subsystem
that appears after set_up_tty() returns, which causes all ioctl calls to
fail.  Up until the ioctl fault occurs, writes to the tty work fine as
per a terminal on the other end of the serial link.  Calls in ppp that
manipulate the ppp network device also begin failing the same way.

We did find and fix some bugs related to reporting ioctl errors, but the
termios stuff is so intractibly complicated that we're pretty well
stuck, lacking the time to learn that whole thing from the ground up.

So we're going to punt and skip ppp and instead frame our data over the
serial link by hand, which is adequate for the demo we need to do by the
end of the month.

In the meantime, if anyone has any hints or suggestions, they would me
much appreciated.  If we can find and fix whatever the bug(s) is/are
we'll certainly contribute it back along with the modernized ML403 bsp
which looks like its working fine.

Thanks,

Greg