RFC eliminating zeroing of heap/workspace

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Thu Apr 5 21:57:36 UTC 2007

Hi Eric,

Eric Norum schrieb:
> Nothing in the C standard nor in the RTEMS documentation promises
> anything about the contents of dynamically allocated memory (other
> than calloc, and that routine clears the memory itself before handing
> back the pointer).  I'd say don't bother with the clearing.  A 30x
> speedup sounds worthwhile to me.

I am a bit more reluctant on this. Eric, basically you are right, nobody
specified that chunks of the heap are cleared (that's what calloc
provides), but I see two benefits:

1.) some systems NEED the memory to be cleared after power up, simply to
initialize it in sync with its ECC error correction code

2.) The behaviour of systems is a bit more repeatable when the memory is
set to a known state after boot

These are not really striking arguments, so I am a bit torn between
zeroing memory or not. And no, I don't think this is worth another
general RTEMS configuration option :-)

wkr,
Thomas.