Get Task (or other Object) name given id or pointer

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon Aug 6 13:29:27 UTC 2007

Robert S. Grimes wrote:
> Simple question - what's the best (fastest first, "correct" next) way to
> get the rtems_name, given a rtems_tcb*?

I held off answering this hoping someone would pipe up.
I am surprised no one answered it over the week or Monday
morning Europe time.

There are two services:

rtems_status_code rtems_object_id_to_name(
  rtems_id      id,
  rtems_name   *name
);

which assumes you are just returning the 32 bit integer name.
This method has been in RTEMS for 4 years.

The other method tries to convert it to a printable string:

char *rtems_object_get_name(
  Objects_Id     id,
  size_t         length,
  char          *name
);

The second method is what is used by the stack checker and
cpu usage reporters.  It is quite new having been refactored
from the duplicated code in the reporting routines.  It seemed
very generically useful so I made it a service.

--joel