RTEMS + PS3

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Fri Aug 24 04:41:49 UTC 2007

Steven Johnson wrote:
> Karel Gardas wrote:
>> Hoan Hoang wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>     I don't have a PS3 yet but would very much like to see that
>>> happen.   So please do the port.  :-)
>>>

>> The same here! :-) Please consider using Full System Simulator which is
>> available as a part of Cell SDK for debugging:
>>
>> http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/topics/cell?open&S_TACT=105AGX16&S_CMP=DWPA
>>

> As far as I can tell, that is for simulating the Cell Hardware, but on a
> PS3 you have to arbitrate the hardware with a Hypervisor, which makes it
> hard to use the simulator without a lot of work.  It would be OK if I
> was proposing RTEMS on a Blade server for example.

I've thought before having running RTEMS on top of PS3 hypervisor, you
will need to port it to PPC64 and if you like using SPEs, then also add
all the needed SPE communication functionality and just after all this
hard work add a thin layer to glue the code to hypervisor. IIRC Sony's
hypervisor is there just to protect hardware from Sony unwanted access,
otherwise it should be a Cell based workstation with just a limited
amount of RAM. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com