RTEMS + PS3

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon Aug 27 15:34:37 UTC 2007

Karel Gardas wrote:
> Steven Johnson wrote:
>
>> Karel Gardas wrote:

>>> The same here! :-) Please consider using Full System Simulator which is
>>> available as a part of Cell SDK for debugging:
>>>
>>> http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/topics/cell?open&S_TACT=105AGX16&S_CMP=DWPA
>>>

>> As far as I can tell, that is for simulating the Cell Hardware, but on a
>> PS3 you have to arbitrate the hardware with a Hypervisor, which makes it
>> hard to use the simulator without a lot of work.  It would be OK if I
>> was proposing RTEMS on a Blade server for example.
>>

> I've thought before having running RTEMS on top of PS3 hypervisor, you
> will need to port it to PPC64 and if you like using SPEs, then also add
> all the needed SPE communication functionality and just after all this
> hard work add a thin layer to glue the code to hypervisor. IIRC Sony's
> hypervisor is there just to protect hardware from Sony unwanted access,
> otherwise it should be a Cell based workstation with just a limited
> amount of RAM. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/cellsystemsim

mentions that IBM has a research hypervisor that can run on
the simulator.  I could be wrong but it is probably easier to
do the bulk of the port to PPC64 and A hypervisor using their
simulator.  Then address the differences between their
hypervisor and the real one on the PS3.

It is a very interesting port even if I don't have a PS3.  We
have a Wii.   Once the port is complete, I will gladly accept
a donation of a PS3 to ... ahem... test RTEMS on. :D

--joel