RTEMS 4.7.99.2 Available -- PowerPC/virtex feedback

Thomas Doerfler (nt) Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Thu Aug 9 20:30:28 UTC 2007

Robert, Joel,
Joel Sherrill schrieb:
> Robert S. Grimes wrote:
>
>>In my "working" configuration (i.e. no isysnc or spurious exceptions), I
>>can't get my app to start up with 4.7.99.2.
>>
>>1. Not germane to this discussion, but Thomas owes us a patch in the
>>xiltemac.c driver - candidate patch attached again.
>>

> Thomas should review that and commit it as he feels.

The patch looks fine for me, I have commited it.

>>2. I get an Exception 7 in or just after the call to
>>_API_extensions_Run_postdriver() on (or about) line 269 of exinit.c.
>>Stepping in, it is in the first (of ?) extension postdriver_hook(), which:
>>     2.1 In tasks.c, line 301, calls
>>(*_RTEMS_tasks_Initialize_user_tasks_p)();
>>     2.2 Now in taskinitusers.c, function
>>_RTEMS_tasks_Initialize_user_tasks_body( void ), it dies in the first
>>call to rtems_task_create on line 71, giving the exception 7.  The task
>>it was trying to create is my main init task.
>>

> Exception 7 is a NOFP exception which would indicate the
> code is compiled to use the FPU and you don't have one.
> Why an FPU instruction would be in use at this point in
> RTEMS is beyond me.

Maybe the task is created as "Non-FloatingPoint", but the compiler uses
FPU registers to e.g. move variables? This might also cause the Non-FP
Exception, I guess.

Try to disassmble the relevant code or check/change, whether the task is
created with FPU enabled.

wkr,
Thomas