RTEMS 4.7.99.2 Available -- PowerPC/virtex feedback

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 10 17:15:25 UTC 2007

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Chris Caudle wrote:
>
>> Everyone is scurrying around figuring out how to rebuild tools with soft
>> float, but it looks like that should be the default already, and so far no
>> one has presented any code which confirms that the exception was actually
>> caused by using a floating point register.
>>
>> Shouldn't looking at the instructions to see if that is a feasible
>> explanation be the first step?
>>

> Yes.

Okay, I brought this all about - wow! - so I really feel I should be
doing something here.  Unfortunately, I'm not able to fully comprehend
this whole conversation; I'm really not at all familiar with the inner
workings of either gcc or newlib, and this is my first foray into the
PowerPC world.  So I certainly don't understand all the ramifications of
what you all are discussing.

However, I can look at the instructions being generated, though I could
use a few pointers on what specifically to look for - specific
instructions, you know.  Unfortunately I won't be able to do that until
Tuesday at the earliest, as I am off on other projects until then, and
don't have access to my tools.  All I do have right now is the
executable; if someone can look at it quickly and wishes to do so, then
by all means, let me know and I'll send it to you.  Otherwise, it seems
the ball's in my court, and will have to remain there until Tuesday.
Sorry about the unfortunate timing!

Thanks for all the input!

-Bob

P.S. Enjoy your weekends!