RTEMS 4.7.99.2 Available -- PowerPC/virtex feedback - IT WAS THE STACK CHECKER!!! RESOLVED

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 14 16:23:18 UTC 2007

Hi Greg et. al.

It was the stack checker!

At some point last week, I added the stack checker - figured it was a
"good idea".  No problems showed up immediately after doing so, so I
promptly forgot about it, and started adding some new code.  Some of
this new code was getting a bit aggressive, if you know what I mean - it
exercised networking, a user communications interrupt, and some C++
features, so I was not too surprised when things went haywire.  But in
this case, with the older RTEMS Head, the problem only showed up when a
message was sent to my application, _not during startup_!  This was the
subject of my "isync, exceptions" email from Thursday.  After attempting
to figure this out using debugger sleuthing, removing the new code, etc,
it seemed to be pretty clearly my new code that was causing the
problem.  Or so I thought...

Anyway, I decided to send that "isync" message, and while waiting for
insight from you all, I decided to heed Joel's call to test 4.7.99.2.
So I cut out all the questionable code, installed 4.7.99.2, and rebuilt
my application - that's when I ran into all those "exception7" problems.

So, it turns out the stack checker was the culprit.  See another email
for more details.  Right now, both the Head and 4.7.99.2 seem to work
just fine, even with my new code!

Thanks for all the help!