Stack checker broken on PowerPC/virtex BSP - 4.7.99.1 or later

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Aug 16 15:14:08 UTC 2007

Robert S. Grimes wrote:
> [...]
>>>          R4 = A5
>>>          R5 = 0
>>>          R6 = FEFFFFFF
>>>          R7 = D0000
>>>          R8 = D327C
>>>          R9 = E9DC8
>>>          R10 = 1
>>>          R11 = E9DC8
>>>          R12 = 0
>>>          R13 = FFFEA680
>>>          R14 = FFFFFFFF
>>>          R15 = FFFFFFFF
>>>          R16 = FFFFFFFF
>>>          R17 = FFFFFFFF
>>>          R18 = FFFFFFFF
>>>          R19 = FFFFFFFF
>>>          R20 = FFFFFFFF
>>>          R21 = FFFFFFFF
>>>          R22 = FFFE0000
>>>          R23 = FFFE0000
>>>          R24 = 0
>>>          R25 = D3154
>>>          R26 = 1
>>>          R27 = 0
>>>          R28 = D0000
>>>          R29 = D33FC
>>>          R30 = E0F38
>>>          R31 = A5A5A5A5
>>>          CR = 39000033
>>>          CTR = 0
>>>          XER = E000007F
>>>          LR = A5A5A5A5
>>>          MSR = 0
>>>          DAR = 0
>>>     Stack Trace:
>>>       IP: 0xA5A5A5A4, LR: 0xA5A5A5A5
>>>     --^ 0x00000000
>>>

>>> So it is clearly trying to execute code in the just-doped stack, though
>>> I don't know why...
>>>
>>> Anything else I should try?
>>>

>> I really suspect that the RTEMS workspace (and possibly the
>> C Program Heap) is overlapping the initial stack and possibly
>> the interrupt stack
>>
> Yeah, something like that is wrong...
>
>> Break at RTEMS_Malloc_Initialize and look at the first
>> two arguments (start and length).
>>
> start = 0x1f0000, length = 0x800000
>
>> While there look at the first two entries in what
>> _Configuration_Table points to (workspace start and size).
>>
> work_space_start = 0xe0000
> work_space_size  = 0x100000
>
>> Draw a memory map showing the range of your program's
>> text, data, bss, interrupt stack, starting stack, C Program
>> Heap, and RTEMS Workspace.
>>
>    Text        00010000 - 000c72bc  (symbols text.start and text.end)
>   Data        000c72c0 - 000cb520  (symbols data.start and data.end)
>   BSS         000cb520 - 000d4418  (symbols bss.start and bss.end)
>   Init Stack  000e0000 - 000e8000  (symbols stack.start and stack.end)
>   Intr Stack  000e8000 - 000ec000  (symbols IntrStack_start and intrStack)
>   Workspace   000e0000 - 001e0000  (from values above)
>   C Heap      001f0000 - 009f0000  (from RTEMS_Malloc_Initialize)
>

>> Give the symptoms and the addresses you posted above,
>> it is really looking like a memory map issue.
>>
> The only overlap I see is the initial and interrupt stacks overlap with
> the beginning of the work space, which may be normal?  If not, why is
> this wrong? Is there some configuration setting wrong here?

No configuration mistake.  This is a BSP

The BSP initialization and rtems_initialize_execute_XXX runs using
the starting stack.  Object control blocks, task stacks, internal
data structures, etc are allocated from that.  While initializing
all that, the memory for the Init stack is going to get trashed.
You are seeing this happen when the first task stack is doped but
this is just the most brutal overwrite of the memory.

The interrupt stack also overlaps this and is getting clobbered also
but this doesn't matter until you get an interrupt that uses stack
memory that is thought by RTEMS to be a task stack or a data structure
and clobbers that.

The BSP needs to be fixed to the workspace memory doesn't conflict
with the interrupt or initial stacks.  Reserve them.

Make sure the BSP is starting the workspace after the high address
symbol for the interrupt stack.

Look for this in bspstart.c:

    /* round _end up to next 64k boundary for start of workspace */
    BSP_Configuration.work_space_start = (void *)((((uint32_t)&_end) +
0x18000) & 0xffff0000);

It looks like _end in linkcmds should be defined after the definition
of intrStackPtr not before those stacks.

Then the BSP better be careful to make sure that the
heap starts BSP_Configuration.work_space_size bytes after that and the
rest of memory goes to the Heap.

But right now, the linkcmds says
_HeapSize defaults to 8M and the code appears to ignore it.
Look at libbsp/shared/m68k/m68kpretaskinghook.c for a way to default
to all of memory (_HeapSize == 0) or let the user specify a maximum
size by defining _HeapSize on the command line.
> Here are my CONFIGURE_ settings:
>
> #define CONFIGURE_APPLICATION_NEEDS_CONSOLE_DRIVER
> #define CONFIGURE_APPLICATION_NEEDS_CLOCK_DRIVER
> #define CONFIGURE_RTEMS_INIT_TASKS_TABLE
> #define CONFIGURE_LIBIO_MAXIMUM_FILE_DESCRIPTORS      20
> #define CONFIGURE_USE_IMFS_AS_BASE_FILESYSTEM
>
> //#define CONFIGURE_EXECUTIVE_RAM_SIZE                  (512*1024)
> #define CONFIGURE_EXECUTIVE_RAM_SIZE                  (1024*1024)
> #define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_SEMAPHORES                  20
> #define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_TASKS                       20
> #define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_EVENTS                      20
> #define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_MESSAGE_QUEUES              4
>
> #define CONFIGURE_MICROSECONDS_PER_TICK               10000
> #define CONFIGURE_TICKS_PER_TIMESLICE                 50
>
> #define CONFIGURE_INIT_TASK_STACK_SIZE                (10*1024)
> #define CONFIGURE_INIT_TASK_PRIORITY                  120
> #define CONFIGURE_INIT_TASK_INITIAL_MODES (RTEMS_PREEMPT |
> RTEMS_NO_TIMESLICE | \
>                                            RTEMS_NO_ASR  |
> RTEMS_INTERRUPT_LEVEL(0))
>
> #define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_USER_EXTENSIONS             8
> #define STACK_CHECKER_ON
>
> // These will increase over time, of course!
> #define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_POSIX_THREADS               4
> #define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_POSIX_MUTEXES               4
> #define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_POSIX_CONDITION_VARIABLES   4
>
> #define CONFIGURE_INIT
> #define CONFIGURE_INIT_TASK_ENTRY_POINT MasterInit
> rtems_task MasterInit (rtems_task_argument argument);
>
> Still confused, after all these years...

I know this doesn't help you but I cover this specific
problem in the BSP part of the RTEMS Class.  I plan
to pull up the mailing list archives next week and show
everyone how weird the results can be from not getting
the memory map right.  This is such a simple mistake
that results in weird errors.

--joel