Patch for "strict order mutex"

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sat Dec 22 08:36:20 UTC 2007

xi yang wrote:
> cvs update -Pd
> cvs diff -uN
> Got the patch in attachment and the .tar of files of sp36 also in attachment.

This patch has appeared in CVS on the head and does not work as is. The
networking stack caused the system to exit. This was due to 2 bugs in the
patch. The first caused it to be enabled all the time and the second did not
handle the case of a semaphore being created with a count of 0 and therefore
locked. This is what the networking stack does. I have committed changes to
fix these problems but I have not tested them

I have a few of issues with this patch.

The first is not being enabled. How long will it sit not being used and so
maybe with bugs ?

How well has it been tested ? The problems I have fixed are basic and showed
up with a simple network test application.

In the couple of places I looked the code did not follow the coding standard
of the score. The __STRICT_ORDER_MUTEX__ should be
__RTEMS_STRICT_ORDER_MUTEX__. These need to be fixed.

Could you please update to the latest code in CVS and fix the coding standard
issues plus report the testing done ? The test example could do with some more
tests (ie the locked semaphore test) and some real world applications would
also be good.

We need to decide if this behavior is what we want and if so remove the
conditional compilation so the code is tested by everyone.

The code needs to be review again.

Regards
Chris