Patch for "strict order mutex"

xi yang hiyangxi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 02:40:39 UTC 2007

2007/12/24, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org>:
> xi yang wrote:
> > Sorry,I missed the  initial_lock == CORE_MUTEX_LOCKED condition .
> > That's my fault.
> > I change the cpukit/configure.ac according
> > __RTEMS_USE_TICKS_RATE_MONOTONIC_STATISTICS since I am not very
> > familiar with the build system of RTEMS
>
> This is the correct thing to do, how-ever it is a shell script and so you need
> to be careful with spaces. It seems I have left a problem in CVS which I will
> fix.
Yeah,also I have to read manuals of auto-tools .

> >> No harm done. This is CVS after all.
> > Thanks for you find these bugs and changed them , I will do better next time .
>
> I do hope you submit more patches that solve problems like this in RTEMS. It
> is most welcome. Well done for the patch.
>
> As for testing, I think we need to have all the examples and network demos
> run. This can be done with a simulator so hardware is not a issue.
Yeah,so the auto-test project of rtems is useful.

> >> Does the change in behavior mean a better and more compliant RTEMS ?
> > It could decrease the blocking time . It just allow releasing mutex in order so
> > some older code which release mutex(inherited and celling) not in order can
> > not works.
>
> Is the application code wrong and should it be fixed ?
If the application code dose not release mutex(inherited and ceiling)
in LIFO order.

> Should this be a runtime configuration with the extra overhead ?
May be add some value to the parameter of directive .
The main problem is that the application code should obtain and
release mutex in order.
Just like in textbook of Real-time OS.

> >> If so then we need to turn this code on by default and allow a user to disable
> >> it if they need time to fix their application.

> >> If this is an improvement to RTEMS I would like to see it on. I intend to do
> >> some more testing when I have the time.
> > I will write more tests for my patch.
>
> Thanks.
>
> >> The issue was a bug in the configure part of the patch caused the code to be
> >> compiled in and this exposed the bug. If the configure bug had not existed the
> >> code could have sat with the bug for a long time.
> > Sorry and thank you.
>
> I hope this came across as I intended. I do want the code in RTEMS and turned
> on. I do not like having to perform a special configuration to enable code.
> This is where bugs enter a system and hide.
My patch is an example ^-^, anyway , I have to test it carefully very much.

> We also need to fix the formatting of the code. This can be seen by looking at
> other score code. Here the spacing and line length are important. This code is
> very critical to RTEMS and I am more concerned about it than other places in
> RTEMS.
Ok, I try to fix them.