bsp.am

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon Dec 3 15:25:42 UTC 2007

Thomas Doerfler (nt) wrote:

> Till,
>
> Till Straumann schrieb:
>
>> So what do you suggest - two separate headers, one
>> for the public interface, a second one for BSP-internal
>> interfaces?
>>

> I think this would be better than writing internals and externals into
> one header, making it visible but not available to the user.
>
> Having two headers e.g. is implemented for termios: sys/termios.h for
> the interface, rtems/termiostypes.h for the internal types.

I am in the process of trying to simplify the initialization
process from the BSP's perspective and currently in
the middle of removing the CPU Table and merging it
as appropriate into the main Configuration Table.  As part
of this, I have looked at a fair number of bsp.h files in
the past week or so.  I must  say that I agree with the
internal .h file.

It looks like there is a lot of private information in them
that is not part of the public API of the BSP.

>> The technique of hiding internal interfaces by such a symbol
>> is already employed widely by the RTEMS kernel and
>> by the networking code.
>>

> Yes, but things could be made better?

The networking code is BSD so that's that.  We take
what we get.

The POSIX API is much better at hiding its internals than
the Classic API.  The Classic API has the "inside the
kernel part" to keep users from seeing the inline files.
It would take a lot of work but I would love to see a
split between the public Classic API functionality and
the internals.  But it would be a large undertaking with
little payback.

--joel