Dynamic memory allocation approaches for C++ apps - pros and cons

Angelo Fraietta newsgroups at smartcontroller.com.au
Tue Dec 4 20:58:27 UTC 2007

Robert S. Grimes wrote:

> Angelo Fraietta wrote:
>
>>Robert S. Grimes wrote:
>>

>>>Might I ask what you based your allocator on?  Did you use a chunk of
>>>memory from the heap, and manage that yourself?  Or did you use RTEMS
>>>Regions or Partitions?  I'm particularly interested in the "quality" of
>>>those subsystems.
>>>

>>I created a linked list for each class and allocated will malloc when i
>>needed it - the size of the required memory is passed in operator new of
>>the class. Instead of freeing the memory when I released in my app via
>>'delete' , I put it aside and cached for use in the next allocation via
>>'new'
>>

> Thanks for the reply.  So you just used malloc to get the memory, and
> kept it for yourself.  Sounds clean and simple, and I would guess if a
> single task was using it, a great approach.

I use it in multi tasking, but I use a semaphore to gain exclusive access.

--
Dr Angelo Fraietta
A.Eng, A.Mus.A, BA(Hons), Ph.D.

PO Box 859
Hamilton NSW 2303

Home Page

http://www.smartcontroller.com.au/

There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge - that is
CURIOSITY
     Bernard of Clairvaux (1090 - 1153)