Looking for BSP for Atmel AT91SAM7X-EK

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Dec 14 08:33:48 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 21:27 -0700, Andrei Chichak wrote:
>
>> Thanks Joel,
>>
>> Are there any docs around dealing with putting together a new BSP? I
>> have taken a look at the BSP and porting guides but there doesn't
>> seem to be a section on which configuration files to munge to get the
>> bootstrap procedure to pick up the new BSP.
>>
> Well, actually, it's pretty simple.
>
> 1. cd <src>/c/src/lib/libbsp/<cpu>
> and copy over the BSP which resembles to your BSP most
> cp <bsp> <mybsp>
>
> 2. edit your bsp's files below <mybsp>/
> [The actual act of porting]

If I may comment: that would be pretty bad practice.
A better way would be
 - make parts in <bsp> that are similar enough to what
   'mybsp' needs a library that supports both, <bsp> and
   <mybsp>. Try to make interfaces generic enough so that
   they could be useful to a yet more similar BSP that
   may be created in the future (but also: try to keep it simple).
 - modify <bsp> so it uses the (new) library
 - let <mybsp> use the library
 - only add new parts that are really specific to <mybsp>

The myriad of powerpc BSPs are a painful example of
the result of the 'copy + edit' strategy when creating new
BSPs. It's maintenance hell.

T.