Behaviour change for double-free'ing a pointer

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Dec 19 20:44:15 UTC 2007

Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 10:11:52AM -0600, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> There is no good answer.  I am sure someone will argue that there
>> should be no assert's in the normal runtime.  At least people have
>> vehemently argued that before.  :-D
>>

> -DNDEBUG doesn't work anymore?  (=

This begs a bigger question... should RTEMS assert at all?

Most of the asserts I have analyzed over the past couple of months
cannot occur unless there is a data corruption problem or problem
with the RTEMS internal logic.  Those are being marked with
RTEMS_DEBUG conditionals.  Otherwise they are untestable
dead code.

Should it be possible for RTEMS provided code to halt at run-time?

--joel