RTEMS Ada Questions

avy st astrominger at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 18:41:13 UTC 2007

Hello all,

  After successfully building powerpc-rtems-4.7 Ada capable toolset on Cygwin host and rtems-4-7-branch itself (or at least so I hope, since no Ada program was run yet), I've tried compiling and running the following Ada 'hello' program,  appearing on the Ada and RTEMS wiki page (http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/RTEMSAda):
$ cat t.adb  with Ada.Text_IO;  procedure T is  begin     Ada.Text''IO.Put''Line ("Hello RTEMS Ada");  end T;  $ powerpc-rtems-gnatmake -f -g t -largs -BINSTALL -specs bsp_specs -qrtems  ...  $ INSTALL/powerpc-rtems/psim/tests/runtest ./t
Running it, on the PSIM BSP, resulted in internal error after program end.  Joel Sherrill looked at it, and suspected that it was a stack overrun after program end.However, having a look at RTEMS Ada hello example and the elaboration code, I saw that, in my opinion, RTEMS was not even started, and no task was created when building the program as described on the Wiki page.  All RTEMS Ada examplesEXPLICITLY create the tasks and start RTEMS on their main, which is not the case in this examples.
So, here are the questions:
Is my observation correct?
If so, is there a way to create the environment task 'automatically' (from the Ada code point of view), and run the Ada main
procedure in the context of the environment task automatically, as is required and done bu all the Ada environments
that I've worked with?
What about defining tasks in Ada - defining a task type and an object of that type? Would this automatically create a task
as it should? Is Ada task=RTEMS task?
Is all this behavior documented anywhere?
ThanksAvy