Problems about porting RTEMS on a BSP close to mbx8xx

Julien Delange julien at gunnm.org
Fri Feb 23 14:15:39 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm porting an old BSP (called spif[1]), to RTEMS 4.7, and encounter
some problems. I read the documentation on rtems.com and I didn't
find any hints. Therefore, I have some questions about bsp porting :

1. On the wiki[2], I saw that mb8xx bsp does not run out of the box.
But some patches can be applied to correct this. How could I retrieve
these patches ?

2. Our BSP fails when invoking _IO_Initialize_all_drivers, and hangs
when trying to initialize the first driver (major number=0). After some
investigations, it seems to fail in
libcpu/powerpc/mpc8xx/console-generic/console-generic.c
in the m8xx_uart_smc_initialize() function. We saw the page [3], but
we didn't find any idea to fix the error. Does anyone have any idea
for this bug?

3. We saw there are many rtems_io_register_name functions, but the
one defined in sapi/src/io.c is not used. We cannot find out why it's
not used. Is this function deprecated ?

Thanks for any answer,

Best regards,

[1] : The spif card is near the mb8xx card
[2] : http://rtems.com/wiki/index.php/Mbx8xx
[3] : http://rtems.com/wiki/index.php/DebuggingHints