Web server

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 13 14:47:07 UTC 2007

Lars, all -

I have just finished integrating the GoAhead server with an eCos
application and I went back over the RTEMS mailing lists when I read Lars'
note. I didn't find any recent correspondence -- did anyone summarize
'Pros' and 'Cons' (as well as alternatives)?

>From my viewpoint, I fought through GoAhead's the 'POST' upload in a
couple of flavors and got it working both with GoAhead's embedded
'goforms' and conventional CGI, in Linux and eCos. I also found it useful
to export the library and to link it to a thread in our app where I
generate the web content.

Finally, in response to the questions about a separate build of the
compiled web content (using conventional HTML), notice that the
precompiler 'webcomp' is a native tool of your development host. Even
though you it '#include's many of the source package's headers, it can be
build in the source tree and comes out as a self-contained command-line
app that generates a *.c file which becomes part of your library source.
Build 'webcomp' once and move it aside to use independently. See GoAhead's
Makefile for usage of 'webcomp' and on linking the library. (A suitable
target already exists.)

That said, I would be interested in a discussion (or references to earlier
discussions) of concerns and alternative web-servers for RTEMS (and
similar) environments. One point I missed was the fate of the JAWS server
that I thought had once been a good choice for RTEMS use.

Thanks.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu