bsp_postdriver_hook is called but no console defined

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Tue Feb 27 12:04:56 UTC 2007

Leon Pollak wrote:
> On Monday 26 February 2007, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> Leon Pollak wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, again.
>>>
>>> In the mails "leon2: cannot boot without the console driver" there was a
>>> discussion of how to solve the problem of the BSP without console.
>>>
>>> Have any decision been accepted?
>>>
>>> I still fail in this trap...
>>>
>> My (temporary) solution was to replace bsp_postdriver_hook with a BSP
>> specific
>> one that did not register a console.
>>
>> --joel
>>
> Thanks Joel,
>
> I tried to do this, but received linker error - multiply defined symbol
> bsp_postdriver_hook, both in the bsp and application.
>
> Any other way except editing the shared code?

I tried it also and got the same linked error.  Unfortunately, that's
what worked for me.

On the test BSP I was using (a sparc), it has a DEBUG_puts() call in
console.c which is
called from the start path of the BSP.  Thus it didn't drop the size
that much.  This just
emphasized that size is a BSP issue as well as a general RTEMS issue.
If the BSP
has sticky fingers, it doesn't matter how much restructuring we do.

It might take moving the guts of this function into a subroutine in
another file and
place that file in libcsupport.  Then have confdefs.h generate the code
for this function.
I will have to think about this though.

--joel

--joel