Convert Linker Output to Binary File

frank.ueberschar at dsa-volgmann.de frank.ueberschar at dsa-volgmann.de
Thu Jan 4 20:30:48 UTC 2007

I am  bit confused with the following mapfile entry.

 .rodata.str1.1
                0x0318b891      0x66f o-optimize/netcom.o
                                0x6e4 (size before relaxing)
 .rodata.str1.1
                0x00000000        0x2 o-optimize/misc.o
 .rodata.str1.1
                0x0318bf00       0x9e o-optimize/desk.o
 .rodata.str1.1
                0x0318bf9e      0x3d3 o-optimize/aspfunc.o
                                0x3f8 (size before relaxing)

Having built an application with rtems-4.7 I cannot
opjcopy the created .exe into a binary that is nearly
as small as I expected. (50MB -> 700kB)

The code will be running at 0x03100000. But there
seems to be some object beeing used at 0x0 so that
objcopy fills the gap with 50MB of zeros.

I was wondering about the rodata.str1.1 section having
adress 0x0 as the link-address (might be merged constants).

Can someone give me a hint on how to get rid of the unneeded
symbols so objcopy can generate an appropriate binary ?

$(CC) ... -fno-merge-constants does not help because any
           contributed library had to be recompiled)

OUTPUT_FORMAT (binary) in fact produces a running binary
           - but I like to keep always a disassemble which
             itself needs the symbols for objdump.

Happy new year,
kind regards:

Frank