How to add new path to BSP configure script

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 10 14:21:12 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 14:04 -0500, Robert S. Grimes wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to add an additional system include path to the configure script
>> for a new BSP.
>>

> /me seems you are trying to take several steps at once :)

Yeah, I guess so...
> So let me ask differently:
> * What do you want to achieve?

I want to create a BSP for our Xilinx Virtex-4 FPGA, which contains an
embedded PowerPC 405 and embedded Ethernet MAC.
> * What is the problem you are trying to solve?

At its most basic, I want to be able to include a file called
xparameters.h, which contains macros defining the base addresses for
"peripherals" included in the FPGA design.  For example, you might
include several serial ports, an SPI controller, and the like, and this
generated file will give you the base addresses for each "peripheral"'s
register bank.  Because my system will have several different processor
designs, and hence different register base addresses, I want to refer to
this file.

I also want to link in the low-level software routines Xilinx provides
to access these peripherals on a slightly higher conceptual level than
register programming.  This code is essentially a "hardware abstraction
layer", which fits the gap between an OS (i.e. RTEMS) and the registers.

So, I need to be able to reference the hardware tree from the RTEMS
tree.  Now that I think about it, even that is several things :).  I
need to do so when the RTEMS/BSP libraries are built, and again when the
applications are built.

Hopefully this explanation answers more questions than it raises!

Thanks,
-Bob