4.7 bandaid for strict aliasing

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon Jan 22 22:54:47 UTC 2007

Hi,

I would like to see 4.7 get released but the strict aliasing
needs some type of solution short of -fno-strict-alias.
There was a lot of discussion -- was one of those a bandaid?

Remember for release branches, the toolset is more or less
frozen at a gcc major revision (4.X) so we shouldn't have to
worry too much about 4.X.3 optimizing code that 4.X.2 didn't.

For 4.8, we need a better solution.  But for 4.7, we need a
working releasable solution.  Let's get to resolution here. :)

Please.

--joel