Error linking tarfile image in m68k/coldfire RTEMS 4.7

Paul Whitfield paulw at omnitronics.com.au
Tue Jan 30 01:29:14 UTC 2007

Alan Cudmore wrote:
> I'm starting to build my code with the latest RTEMS 4.7 toolchain and
> the RTEMS 4.7 CVS snapshot. I'm using the m68k/coldfire tools and the
> uC5282 BSP until I get my BSPs ported over.
>
> When I build a RTEMS application that uses the IMFS file system
> tarfile image, I get the following error:
>
> cd rootfs ; tar cf ../o-optimize/tarfile web etc
> cp o-optimize/tarfile .
> m68k-rtems4.7-ld -r -o o-optimize/temp.o  o-optimize/init.o \
>          -b binary tarfile
> m68k-rtems4.7-ld: failed to merge target specific data of file tarfile
> make: *** [o-optimize/netdemo.exe] Error 1
>
> Is there an updated ld option for this?

In my makefile I added the tar in two steps, create a .o file and then
add it to the link.

I found the following worked when creating the .o file containing the tar

-$(LD) -r --noinhibit-exec -o $@  -b binary $<

I.e. the actual command run is

m68k-rtems4.7-ld -r --noinhibit-exec -o data.o  -b binary data.tar

You need the leading - to ignore the error code returned by LD.

This command line argument also works OK with rtems 4.6 tools.

Regards

Paul

The information in this e-mail is intended for the addressee only.
Unauthorised use, copying, disclosure or distribution by anyone else
is prohibited. Please let us know immediately if you receive this
e-mail in error. Thank you.