rtems coverage testing through an open source simulator?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon Jul 2 15:55:20 UTC 2007

shizheng wrote:
> Ray wrote:
>
>> You can use qemu to test pc586 bsp and score,  Skyeye is also a good choice for ARM platform (csb337 for example).
>> --enable-tests in configure will help you generate test Makefile. The testsuites (tmtest sptest) cover all/most the API rtems offered
>>

> as for this testsuit, I have checked and run it :)
> I found $SRC_ROOT/testsuits/sptests/readme says:
>
> This directory contains the RTEMS Single Processor Test Suite.
> The tests in this directory provide near complete (98%+) test
> coverage of the non-multiprocessor code in RTEMS.
>
> I would like to know how 98%+ is obtained, and what's the 2%- left.
> Is there any method to calculate this precisely?

When that number was generated, it was done by hand --
single stepping through the code as the tests ran and
using a highlighter to mark lines in a print out of the
source code as they were executed.

The point of the entry in the Wiki is to find a way to get this
information from a simulator that notes when each
address that contains an instruction that is executed.  This
information could then be used for profiling execution or
coverage analysis.

The first step in this is either finding a simulator with this
feature or adding it to one like psim or Skyeye.

Gaisler Research's tsim has the capability to do this but
it is a commercial product.  I do not know if the evaluation
version has this feature enabled.

--joel