RTEMS and I2C APIs

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Fri Jul 27 08:56:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

I found out, that RTEMS actually has two I2C APIs defined.

1.) Till Straumann has implemented a high level API, which resides in
"cpukit/libi2c". It seems to be well structured, supports multiple
busses and integrates into the filesystem. Some drivers are implemented
on top of this API to access an EEPROM and an RTC in "c/src/libchip/i2c".
But: There is no sample driver implementation for the actual low-level
I2C driver.

2.) A different API has been implemented by OKTET in
"c/src/lib/libbsp/m68k/mcf5206elite/i2c", which is also split into a low
level driver and a HW independent layer. This driver has been ported at
least to the gen5200 BSP and has at least an RTC driver based on this API.

Now I want to implement another low level I2C interface, which is quite
similar to the MCF5206. A decision is needed which API should live on,
because I think it is not a good idea to have two APIs for the same
thing. From a first glance, the API in cpukit seems to have a better
structure, but I would like to get other opinions, and maybe a sample
low level driver would help to decide, which way to go.

Any opinions?

Till: any sample driver available?

wkr,
Thomas.

embedded brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler           Obere Lagerstr. 30
D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
Tel. : +49-89-18 90 80 79-2
Fax  : +49-89-18 90 80 79-9
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de