how to support another CPU?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri Jul 27 15:05:14 UTC 2007

mao ye wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>     I want to the rtems to support another CPU,how can I do it and
> what other knowledge must I get?
>     And more ,the CPU has not been supported by the rtems.But it is mips3.
Assuming it is sufficiently different to not already be supported by the
current codebase, you would start in:

+ cpukit/score/cpu/mips
+ c/src/lib/libcpu/mips

and I assume you have a specific board or simulator in mind so you
would end up adding c/src/lib/libbsp/mips/MY_MIPS3_BSP.

cpukit/score/cpu/mips contains the code for context switches and
other fundamental OS primitives that can be built only knowing the
MIPS ISA level -- no specific CPU model information here

c/src/lib/libcpu/mips can know specific CPU models but not details
about a specific board

c/src/lib/libbsp/mips/MY_MIPS3_BSP has board specific code like
startup, linker script, etc.

--joel