How to Use Interrupts in Applications

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 25 19:58:37 UTC 2007

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> The documentation needs to reflect the code.
Of course!  :-P
What I meant was which was correct - a question so clearly naive now
that I understand things better!  :-[
> The current documentation is correct for the simple vectored interrupt
> manager used by most ports.  So it needs to be kept.
Agreed.
> The x86, powerpc, and arm use the PIC interrupt model and it needs to
> be documented.
Agreed.
> I don't know how to present that in the manual so it is obvious.  My
> first guess is two interrupt manager chapters with a huge warning that
> this chapter is the API used by architectures X, Y, and Z.
I would suggest one chapter on interrupt management, with an intro
section describing the situation (like your first email on this topic),
followed by  two (three) main subsections, one for each model.  The
intro section can contain the "huge warning", pointing to the BSPs for
which model is used there.  Then, I would hope the BSP main readme files
would get updated, at least to include which model (using the new names,
of course).
> No one else is working on this.  Documentation is thankless work.
> But I would definitely give you a big Thank You for taking a stab at it.
Okay, I will - just can't promise to be real prompt about it...  ;-)
> I can provide a rough framework for a chapter in the User's Guide if
> you want to fill it in.
Yes, please do.  Now I'll finally be able to feel I'm contributing,
albeit in a small fashion.  (Maybe I'll even get rid of those
rtems_unsigned32 references too!)

-Bob