Message_queue_Submit function

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Mon Jun 4 13:51:07 UTC 2007

Leon Pollak wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I have the case when I need to try to keep the message queue full all the
> time.
> I see already in the file coremsg.inl:43 that there is an option to wait till
> there is a free space in the queue, but this option seems not to exist in the
> API.
> 1. Is it correct (the option absence)? Why?

It was not required by the original RTEID/ORKID specifications but is
part of the
POSIX Message Queue.
> 2. What is an elegant way to solve this issue (without asking periodically the
> queue about number of pending messages)?

The simple solution would be to add an attribute to
rtems_message_queue_create to
enable blocking send capabilities for the Classic API.  The default
value should
correspond to the current behavior so no existing behavior is changed.

Submit a patch with test and documentation and it should be no problem to
merge it since it just promotes out a capability that is already in the
SuperCore
and should be well-tested by the POSIX tests.  You would just be
verifying it
actually worked in the Classic API.

Or you can get me to do it.  I stand on street corners with a sign that
says "help
me -- will code for you". :)

--joel