RTEMS and Google Summer of Code 2007

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Sun Mar 4 16:44:45 UTC 2007

Hi,

I would like for RTEMS to be a participating project in
this year's Google Summer of Code.  I think GCC had 6-10
projects accepted last year.  I would be happy to get one or
two good projects that a student would be interested in
and have them sponsored.

The URL for it is:

http://code.google.com/soc/

I have cut and pasted one of their FAQ entries after my
signature.

I have taken a stab at an RTEMS Wiki page to gather mentors,
potential projects, and work toward an application.

http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/RTEMSSummerOfCode2007

This is an opportunity for RTEMS visibility and to get some work
done.  Please offer to be a mentor and please review my list of
potential projects.  Add projects as you see fit. :)

I have other things I want to do to RTEMS but I am limiting
the SOC projects to things I think are approachable by a student
and that I would want them touching.  For example, I know how
to get RTEMS to support nanosecond TOD accuracy but I don't
want a student touching that.  I also think I have identified
a way to drop the size of EVERY Task Control Block by about
100 bytes but that is not on the student list.  Either of these
projects is open to someone sponsoring me to do them but I just
don't want a random person attempting them.  They are precision
efforts which require a DEEP understanding of RTEMS to get right.

Thanks and please pitch in.  Let's make it clear this is the
vibrant community it really is.

--joel

 From their FAQ: "What is Google Summer of Code?"
> Google Summer of Code^TM is a program that offers student developers
> stipends to write code for various open source projects. Google will
> be working with a several open source, free software and
> technology-related groups to identify and fund several projects over a
> three month period. Historically, the program has brought together
> over 1,000 students with over 100 open source projects, to create
> hundreds of thousands of lines of code. The program, which kicked off
> in 2005 <http://code.google.com/summerofcode05.html>, is now in its
> third year, following on from a very successful 2006
> <http://code.google.com/soc/>.
>
> While the majority of past student participants were enrolled in
> university Computer Science and Computer Engineering programs, GSoCers
> come from a wide variety of educational backgrounds, from
> computational biology to mining engineering. Many of our past
> participants had never participated in an open-source project before
> GSoC; others used the GSoC stipend as an opportunity to concentrate
> fully on their existing open source coding activities over the summer.
> Several of our 2005 students went on to become mentors in 2006.

With that background,