RTEMS and Google Summer of Code 2007

Pavel Pisa ppisa4lists at pikron.com
Sun Mar 4 22:29:21 UTC 2007

Hello Joel,

please, can you elaborate demands of next task a little more.

| Reimplement Classic API notepads and POSIX keys using code like
| std::map but in C. I think an implementation of the map code is
| available under an appropriate license as a starting point.

What do you think "std::map" should be based on?
Hash, AVL, RB-tree? If you accept AVL, I would like to integrate
something like my uLUt's GAVL into RTEMS core to allow prepare
high resolution (tickless) timers queues and other things. I still
see as most important problem to decide, how to chose names
of the functions and macros to not pollute namespace of user
applications and to decide, if porting of these algorithms worth
or not to be done at all and if full version or shrunk/specialized
one should be used. Please, can you provide your opinion there.

I cannot apply for SoC and I cannot even promise for sure,
that I find the time to work on this. But I would be happy
if I could help there one day and if my work could be usesfull
to others.
I am convinced still, that uLUt is not so bad replacement
of some STL subset for old poor C.
But may it be, that I am wrong there.

The other tasks, which I see as interresting, are
integration of Miguel Masmano's TLSF memory allocator
and may it be finishing of Martin Molnar's work
on EDF scheduler. But again, I do not expect, that
original authors would find time to apply for SoC.

Best wishes

            Pavel Pisa