aliasing again

Kate Feng feng1 at bnl.gov
Thu May 24 17:49:44 UTC 2007

I think I am missing something  practical here.

In 4.7.1,  I noticed the code :
RTEMS_INLINE_ROUTINE void _Heap_Block_remove (
  Heap_Block *the_block
)
{
  Heap_Block *block = the_block;

  Heap_Block *next = block->next;
  Heap_Block *prev = block->prev;
  prev->next = next;
  next->prev = prev;
}

What is the effect of this discussion of alias  in
Heap_Block_remove  ?

I extended the test with gcc-4.1.1 with either
-fstrict-aliasing or  -fno-strict-aliasing with or
without  -O -fschedule-insns.  However, I got the
same result :

struct node {
     struct node *next, *prev;
};

void xtract(struct node *x)
{
    struct node *n, *p;
    n = x->next;
    p = x->prev;
    n->prev = p;
    p->next = n;
}

void nodeRemove(struct node *x)
{
    struct node *n, *p;

    n = x->next;
    p = x->prev;
    p->next = n;
    n->prev = p;
}

00000000 <xtract>:
   0: 81 63 00 04  lwz     r11,4(r3)    # r11= p=x->prev
   4: 81 23 00 00  lwz     r9,0(r3)     # r9 = n=x->next
   8: 91 2b 00 00  stw     r9,0(r11)    # p->next = n
   c: 91 69 00 04  stw     r11,4(r9)    # n->prev = p
  10: 4e 80 00 20  blr

00000014 <nodeRemove>:
  14: 81 63 00 04  lwz     r11,4(r3)    # r11 = p=x->prev
  18: 81 23 00 00  lwz     r9,0(r3)     # r9 = n=x->next
  1c: 91 69 00 04  stw     r11,4(r9)    # n->pre = p
  20: 91 2b 00 00  stw     r9,0(r11)    # p->next =n
  24: 4e 80 00 20  blr

Is it possible that I did not build my gcc-4.1.1 with a
correction option ?

Regards,
Kate