Problem when installing 4.8 using yum.

Sergei Organov osv at javad.com
Tue May 29 15:39:27 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org> writes:
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 17:55 +0400, Sergei Organov wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org> writes:
[...]
>> > Alternatively (and that what I recommend), you could use our official
>> > yum configuration:
>> >
>> > rpm -U ftp://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/linux/4.8/fedora/6/i386/rtems-4.8-yum-conf-0.7-1.fc6.noarch.rpm
>> > yum install <.....>
>>
>> Now I'm confused. Doesn't Fedora distribution itself have official
>> suitable yum configuration?
>
> Fedora ships yum and yum configurations (/etc/yum.repos.d) configured to
> access their repos (For FC6: core and extras).
>
> rtems.org and other third parties (e.g. livna.org) ship yum
> configurations (i.e. /etc/yum.repos.d/<file>) to set up yum to add these
> 3rd party's repos to a system's configuration.

Ah, now I see! So the source of my confusion is
<http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/APT/Yum_Repository> page that
insists on using the configuration you've called "your own". It was not
my own YUM configuration, -- it was those taken from this page.

>>  I'd prefer not to mess this system up even
>> further by selecting random configs for system-wide services ;)
> Well, ... either you use 3rd party repos or you don't, either you trust
> us not to screw up your system or you don't, it's up to you ;)

I do trust you. I just didn't understand you talk about add-ons to the
configuration, and not about replacement of "standard" configuration.

> All I can say: I promise not to replace any official Fedora package by
> any of my packages and try hard not to conflict with any other packages
> (All our packages install to /opt/rtems* - Official Fedora packages
> install to /usr).

I'm pretty sure you do it the right way, and I suggest to fix misleading
instructions in the aforementioned page, so newcomers are pointed to the
suggested way of doing things.

Thanks for clearing up the issue.

-- Sergei.