Avoiding power-down on leon2

Manuel Pedro Coutinho manuelpedrocoutinho at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 10 15:14:03 UTC 2007

Hi

In RTEMS the timeslice is only used when there are two tasks of equal
priority (and they are both the highest priority ready tasks).

I think that the timeslice you are thinking is used in the time-triggered
architecture (RTEMS uses event-triggered).

I think you can look at RTEMS scheduling from the following way: "the
highest priority ready task is executing". The task scheduling/dispatching
only occurs at the "timeslice" if there are more than one ready task with
the highest priority.

Hence, awnsering your question, if the highest priority ready task releases
the CPU in the middle of a time slice then the next task (with equal or
lower priority) will take over the CPU (imediately). If there aren't any
"useful" tasks other than your "idle task" then the "idle task" will run.

Hope this awnsers your question.

Kind regards
Manuel Coutinho
Edisoft