firewire video on RTEMS-4.6.x-MVME5500

Kate Feng feng1 at bnl.gov
Thu Oct 11 13:26:57 UTC 2007

Mark Rivers wrote:

>> Does the window has any tool to measure the actual
>> network throughput of the  1GHz ?  Or do you have any
>> H/W tool to measure it ?  If so, how many Mega bytes/sec
>> of throughput ?
>
> I don't see a tool in their software to measure the network
> throughput.  I can do a simple calculation for the full frame size at
> 30 FPS 8-bit mode:
>
>  1360.*1024.*30.*8 = 334 Mbits/second.

> This is the real data throughput to the display, and does not include
> any protocol overhead.
>
> The Norpix software includes a replacement Ethernet driver on Windows
> which looks at all frames before the Windows network stack gets them.
> The camera frames go directly to the camera application, and only
> other frames are passed to the Windows network stack.  So using the
> Window network perfomance monitor shows virtually no traffic at all.

Does the camera come with it's own display ?  Or do you use EPICS CA for
display ?  If the real data throughput to the EPICS display is 334
Mbits/sec,
you should see 42 Mega Bytes/sec of high traffic using the Window network
perfromace monitor.  If it shows no traffic at all, then the display
could be
only 1 frame/second (e.g. 11 Mbits/sec) while the data transfer is 334
Mbits/sec.

What's the protocol the camera use for tranferring the data to the host PC ?
I thought it's the GigE network.  If so, you should see at least 334
Mbits/sec
data throughput on the window network performance monitor.  Something
does not make sense to me.

Kate