AVR32 BSP

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Tue Oct 16 14:40:41 UTC 2007

Scott Newell wrote:
> At 03:00 AM 10/16/2007 , Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> As it has never been completed (and still is incomplete), it has never
>> been explicitly addressing "small" nor "big" avrs. It's just the "avr
>> family", as it's being defined by GCC.
>>

> Isn't AVR32 completely different than AVR?  I don't think a single common
> toolchain supports both the 8 bit AVR family and the 32 bit AVR32 family.

It may be a different instruction set but I don't see avr vs avr32
in config.gcc.  There is only avr-:

The RTEMS AVR tools build the following multilibs:

$ /opt/rtems-4.9/bin/avr-rtems4.9-gcc --print-multi-lib
.;
avr3;@mmcu=avr3
avr4;@mmcu=avr4
avr5;@mmcu=avr5

But the gcc info description  of those cpu differences don't sound
like avr32:

     Instruction set avr3 is for the classic AVR core with up to 128K
     program memory space (MCU types: atmega103, atmega603, at43usb320,
     at76c711).

     Instruction set avr4 is for the enhanced AVR core with up to 8K
     program memory space (MCU types: atmega8, atmega83, atmega85).

     Instruction set avr5 is for the enhanced AVR core with up to 128K
     program memory space (MCU types: atmega16, atmega161, atmega163,
     atmega32, atmega323, atmega64, atmega128, at43usb355, at94k).

The base avr and avr2 will be hard to get RTEMS into since avr2 has up to
8K program space.  But avr3-5 would be OK but wouldn't run all tests and
couldn't support the RTEMS TCP/IP stack.

--joel