build toolchain in ubuntu

Torsten Landschoff torsten.landschoff at nambition.com
Sun Oct 7 14:05:00 UTC 2007

Hi Invent (??),
invent-lwj wrote:
>       I'm a freshman,can i build rtems4.8 toolchain with rpm package in ubuntu.which version should i get fc7 or redhat?
>       other question,if i use source code package build,i want to build 4.7.99.2,which version i should download
No idea what happened to the inter-word spacing in Thunderbird here,
sorry for that.

I am working with RTEMS 4.7.99.2 on a Debian development system. Should
I get the time, I intend to build Debian packages of the RTEMS
toolchain. Currently I am working with binaries created via a simple
script. It requires the upstream sources unpacked into the sources
folder, which should contain the following directories

torsten at sharokan:~/rtems4.8-toolchain-20070909$ ls sources/
binutils-2.18 gcc-4.2.1 gdb-6.6 insight-6.6 newlib-1.15.0 patches

The associated upstream sources are
torsten at sharokan:~/rtems4.8-toolchain-20070909$ ls upstream/
binutils-2.18.tar.bz2 gcc-g++-4.2.1.tar.bz2 insight-6.6.tar.bz2
binutils-2.18.tar.bz2.sig gcc-g++-4.2.1.tar.bz2.sig newlib-1.15.0.tar.gz
gcc-core-4.2.1.tar.bz2 gdb-6.6.tar.bz2
gcc-core-4.2.1.tar.bz2.sig gdb-6.6.tar.bz2.sig

I currently don't have the time (or rather uplink) to make the full
archive available, but I attached everything but the upstream sources
with this email. You'll need quilt and a native toolchain installed. You
should download the sources listed above and unpack them into the
sources directory (currently containing only the patches folder). Then
building works just by calling

sh build-toolchain mips-rtems4.8

in the extracted archive directory. This will build the toolchain for
the mips target. You can pass a different architecture as the first
parameter. The generated toolchain will get installed into
$HOME/opt/mips-rtems4.8, be sure to add the directory
$HOME/opt/mips-rtems4.8/bin to your path.

I went this way as I currently need the build on both Gentoo and Debian,
and this approach should work for any Linux distribution. It's quick and
dirty but quite portable, I think.

Comments welcome
Torsten