Cexp status

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 8 21:30:41 UTC 2007

Nickolay Kolchin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is current Cexp status? Version 1.5 looks broken at present time.
Yeah, it's a little outdated. I should post a new release -- it's a
question of
finding the time. I'll send you a current snapshot in private mail and would
appreciate your comments.

> 1. Cexp don't compile out-of-box.
> - on 64-bit machine libtecla configure.in <http://configure.in> need
> patching
I think that is resolved. The demo builds fine on my x86_64 RHEL4 machine.
> - on all system regexp/regexp.c have a bogus "malloc" definition.
Should be fixed. For a while 'regexp.c' has been including <stdlib.h> to
get the declaration of malloc().

> 2. cexp is a predefined function now.
Yep. Mea culpa - bad idea to create a name clash with a standardized
function.
The respective routine has been renamed 'cexpsh' a while ago.

> ../cexp.h:312: warning: conflicting types for built-in function 'cexp'
>
> This is not a bug, it just shows how old Cexp public version is.
>
> 3. Test example don't work
>
> ./cexp>cexpModuleLoad("./hello.o")
> Unresolved symbol: printf
> 0x00000000 (0)
> ./cexp>
This is a problem with the symbol table of the demo program.
Since it is (most likely) dynamically linked 'printf' is actually
undefined in the system symbol table.
You either have to find a way to generate a complete symbol
table file or you should try to link the C-library statically.
Unfortunately, I had problems when I tried to enforce a completely
static link (-Wl,-Bdynamic) because on my system no static
version of libgcc seems to be available. In order not to
brake the build-process I left the linker flags alone. Support
for the 'demo' program doesn't have a high priority...

HTH
-- Till