Problems building 4.8 branch

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Oct 15 12:01:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 06:49 -0500, Eric Norum wrote:
> Yes, use of diff as shown below is easy, as long as you want to keep
> the branch and trunk identical -- at which point I have to question
> the  reason for the branch to exist.
Well, more or less identical trunk and branches are natural, shortly
after a branch :)

The whole idea of branching is letting "new development" and "likely
unstable" development to go to a trunk first, and then to back port them
to branches, either when necessary (e.g. to fix bugs) or when found
"useful".

Unfortunately, at the moment some people have applied new developments
to rtems-4-8-branch first, partially without applying them to trunk -
Maintainers' mistakes 8()

>   My comment was directed towards
> the problems that arise when he trunk and branch diverge, even a
> little, and changes have to be carefully applied to both.

ACK, but the problem is independent of CVS :-)

>     My
> comments were not intended to disparage CVS and I certainly no
> solutions to the parallel development challenge --  to paraphrase
> Churchill (?), "CVS is the worst source code management utility,
> except for all the rest".
Well, my opinion on SVN, hg and git are no secrets :)

Ralf