RFC: extension of libi2c to support SPI aswell

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 5 20:09:59 UTC 2007

Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Robert,
>

> I have no plans now to write dedicated support for the virtex BSP. But I
> would happily guide your through the steps.

Fair enough!  And thanks in advance...  As for specifics, I'm a bit busy
with some interprocessor networking this month to hit that milestone, so
I won't get started on the spi driver _right now_.  This is probably a
good thing, as it gives you time to get the framework filled in a bit
before I start bugging you with silly questions, but just to "prime the
pump", what would be the "best" example to look at to familiarize myself
with what needs to be done?

> If I understood you right, the SPI is a specific virtex implementation,
> so I would think in this case the whole low-level driver would be
> implemented in libbsp/powerpc/virtex/spi.

Exactly, I am using the opb_spi "peripheral" from Xilinx, implemented in
the FPGA fabric.  So yes, that's where it should go.

> Actually it is a normal "RTEMS device" with open/read/write/close/ioctl
> semantics. yes.

Oh, of course - everything is a file, right?  Again, my Linux
inexperience shows through!
> And, oh no, the virtex SPI driver already is yours ;-)

Ha, ha, of course!

> It's always a pleasure to email with you :-)

Ditto!

Take care,
-Bob