getifaddrs support for rtems?

Keith Robertson kjrobert at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Sep 12 19:02:07 UTC 2007

Hi.

http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2006/december/thrd1.html#00142

indicates this has been asked before, and there appears to be some sort
of a (AFAIK somewhat involved) work around using the SIOCGIFADDR ioctl.

However, most unixes these days seem to have this function and a few
related ones (getifaddrs freeifaddrs if_nametoindex if_indextoname
if_nameindex if_freenameindex).

On linux, these appear to be provided by glibc.  As newlib only provides
the core libc routines, it understandably doesn't appear to provide
these.  To improve the clean portability of other applications to rtems,
I'd like to find a way to implement these.   Where would rtems typically
obtain such helper routines?  Write them ourselves?  From somewhere in
the *Bsd sources?  Elsewhere?

Any other suggestions/pointers?

Cheers.

Keith

[1] I'm currently endeavouring to port norm (NACK-Oriented Reliable
Multicast):  http://cs.itd.nrl.navy.mil/work/norm/index.php although
I've run across other applications that require these functions.