Networking: Still waiting for mbuf cluster.

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Tue Sep 25 08:21:57 UTC 2007

Torsten,

the messages you mentioned are a typical signal, that someone (the
driver?) eats up the network buffers. Either they are dropped and not
properly returned to the free buffer pool, or they are stuck to the
transmit queue.

I saw this once, when the network driver's transmit interrupt did not
properly clean up things. You should make sure that:

- The ethernet hardware properly generates interrupts, when a buffer has
been transmitted

- The network driver makes sure that it cleans up the transmitted
buffers, even if it gets only one transmit interrupt for multiple
buffers transmitted.

- Are you possible getting transmit errors (like collision etc) in your
hardware, and the driver does not properly handle this condition?

wkr,
Thomas.