rtems on 16 bit cpu (MSP430)

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Sep 26 13:31:57 UTC 2007

Yu Chen wrote:
> hi,
>   my students and I hope to port rtems on msp430 (16 bit cpu). But I
> only found the site
> http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/TinyRTEMS
>   no more info on how to porting rtems on 16bit CPU.

That's because porting to a 16-bit CPU is the same process as
porting to a 32-bit CPU except that you usually have test programs
that won't fit into memory.  A few of the RTEMS subsystems ported
from other places (like FreeBSD) seem to be too heavy for most
16-bit environments.  shttpd won't even compile on all h8 and avr
variants because it declares a 32K buffer on the stack.

> I think We have to do below things:
> 1. port newlib to msp430
> 2. build gcc+newlib for msp430
> 3. port rtems on msp430

That's the order.  Use the RTEMS Porting Guide and follow
the instructions.  It is in the regular documentation set and
available online.  It is more concerned with the contents of the
port than the build infrastructure.

Ralf can give some advice on the build infrastructure.  But the
general rule is to copy another CPU, change old CPU name to
msp430 name, gut it to a shell and start to build. :-D
> I also want to use a msp430 simulator (just like skyeye), but I didn't
> find any one.

do these guys have one?

http://cdk4msp.sourceforge.net/