In rtl22xx bsp,why .text in sdram in linkcmd

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Sun Sep 30 21:32:27 UTC 2007

Ray wrote:
>> (1)why the section .text in sdram.
>>
> It is for debug perpose. The image runs in SRAM after download. You can change it to your flash address.

It is very common for BSPs to let you place code in RAM or Flash since
downloading to RAM and running obviously puts less wear and tear on
the Flash and is usually quicker in the debug cycle.

>> (2)do rtems run in sdram? how it copy the kernel from flash into sdram?
>>
> It can be run on sram or xip in flash.  If you want to put it from flash to ram, you have to copy it in the booting codes.

Agreed.  This BSP is a relatively recent addition to RTEMS and
any improvements or behavioral options you would like to add
and submit to the RTEMS are welcomed.

Ray.. any progress running this BSP from Skyeye?
>> (3)int boot_card(int argc, char **argv, char **envp)
>> what's the three parameter means about? did the envp is from r2(in start.S) pass to here?
>>
> I am not sure about their usage. But it is passed from start.S, and many BSPs just ignore them¡£

Chris Johns nailed this one.

--joel